well my staycation is over. we had a really great week off and made a lot of progress with the apartment. it's looking great. i'm glad that we have friends moving in there so we can continue to see and enjoy the work we put into it. otherwise we'd never get to see it.
i've noticed two things that bother me when it comes to renos - in terms of language of other folks. i don't really like it when people say things like 'you've done very well considering you've never done renovations before' or 'i was worried that it would be hard'. i recognize that people are trying to be thoughtful and empathetic, but i feel that we're a good judge of what we're capable of and if we didn't have the skills to do these renos we would've hired someone - like we did with the ceilings. my feeling is that not only did we achieve what we set out to do, we enjoyed it and it revealed deeper talents. it's disappointing when people say things that imply that they didn't believe we had it in us.
brendan and i were a great team. perhaps even better than i thought we'd be in that kind of situation. we've still got work to do, but we're past the hardest parts now. i suspect that the rest will be smooth sailing :)
now i'm super excited about our next vacation because we're taking a trip to costa rica!
with a buzz in our ears
we play endlessly.
2 comments:
I find it hard, too, when people qualify their praise. I bet the work is incredibly well done.
Hmmm... I guess I sort of like it when people don't believe in me and then I get to prove them wrong. I get to laugh and say SO THERE!
As for the "You've done well *considering you've never done it before.*" non-sense, well, I don't like that either.
Having seen the "before", I'm looking forward to seeing the "after". I'm sure it looks amazing.
Post a Comment