Saturday, March 09, 2013

egnatia

sometimes when I don't write very often, there's too much to say and I don't know where to begin.

we're in thessaloniki now. we took a 5.5 hour train here yesterday from athens. it was a great scenic trip that went by remarkably fast.

we've found that thess (can't be bothered to write out the whole name) is much more modern and cosmopolitan than athens. it has a big city feel where athens felt slow and laid back.

today we explored the city and saw a lot. it's interesting being in Greece, seeing the juxtaposition of history and current issues. we've witnessed two very large demonstrations (a sit in and a march). to say things are hard right now for Greek citizens is probably an understatement. I read in the news the other day that the unemployment rate just dropped to 26%. DROPPED - meaning it used to be higher. all this said, besides the occasional protest and 'crisis prices' sign in a shop window, everything seems relatively normal.

the weather has been pretty good, with warm sun this afternoon. but we did just get caught in the rain on the way back to our hotel.

ooh! one of the highlights of our trip food wise has been freshly squeezed orange juice. at first I thought it was just at this one shop, but it turns out it's every where. it's delicious! it makes me want to squeeze my own juice at home.

well, that's it for now! cya!

Sent from my iPod

No comments: