Monday, May 12, 2008

tetris

"Do you ever feel like all that you offer people and all that they see and taste of you, all that they think you are is really only a pretty disguise for what lies hidden underneath? That everyone thinks you are so much better than you really are? I do."
rachel erb, may 2008

i was thinking about something very similar to this earlier today. then i read rachel's entry and was pleasantly surprised and kind of relieved to discover someone else thinks the same way.

i once knew a man who could lite a match with one hand. i thought he was so cool. he oozed cool. i wonder about the people i think are cool, i'm sure they'd most likely disagree with me. i wonder who'd be more right – me or them. i wonder if perhaps who we are is equally defined by the perceptions of those around us, instead of by ourselves alone. sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

i think there's a difference between being "hot" and being "sexy". if i had it my way, i'd much prefer to be considered sexy. same goes for my taste in men. being sexy is like being cool, it's generally concealed from the person in question.

i was told today that up to 100 people die annually from incidents involving their crocks getting caught in escalators.

this morning i got in my car to discover i'd left my lights on all night and my battery was dead. it sucked. thankfully my good friend melissa lent me her car to get to and from work. i'd never boosted a car battery by myself before. it was kind of cumbersome. i had to open my car hood, then her car hood, then i had to turn on her engine, then my engine, then i had to unhook everything and put down each hood. kind of cumbersome, but i managed. i drove my batmobile around for a while to charge up the battery before i drove melissa's car back to her place. i'm hoping it was enough to get me started tomorrow. it was kind of nice strolling down to bagot street in the morning – aside from the crappy circumstances.

make me a believer,
the seas will part somehow.

4 comments:

rab said...

What's a crock and how would I get it caught in an escalator? I'm trying my best to be one of those cool people and I can't imagine people thinking I'm cool if I've got my crock stuck in an escalator. Respond soon. I'm avoiding escalators until I hear from you. (If I manage cool, I'm going to go for hot. Then sexy. It is progressive, isn't it?)

yelsel said...

crocks are those foam shoes!

i dunno bob, i think being cool and being sexy are the kind of things that are not attainable thru effort. you either are or your not.

i wonder what ever happened to the fonz. i wonder if he ever had kids and worked a desk job. if he did i bet his kids thought he was lame. perhaps being cool is not timeless.

devious said...

nah les, you're nuts. you can work towards the state of mind that lets you be cool and-or sexy. hot is unrelated to sexy and cool. that's what i think.

yelsel said...

ok, i agree that a person can become cool or sexy, but i disagree that they can work towards it. that's the thing about those things, they're authentic and not contrived. as soon as someone is faking cool, they're instantly lame.