Monday, February 01, 2016

artificial ice

despite the unseasonably warm weather yesterday, we three lorimers went skating yesterday. both eamon and I got skates for Christmas and we were keen to try them out. brendan doesn't currently have skates, but that worked out fine, because he was able to support eamon as they circled the rink.

its been a while since I went skating. the last time was 5 years ago, then before, that it was 5 years ago, and then before that... I was probably a teenagers. I definitely found that ice skating is not like riding a bike. it doesn't come back as naturally, and makes one feel rather vulnerable. my ankles really hurt! I've concluded that either I'm extremely rusty, or I was never as good a skater as I thought I was. I think it's just that I'm rusty. it's not that I was a great skater, but I was a comfortable skater. when I was growing up, our backyard would flood and freeze naturally and we'd be out there skating all the time. it was really fun. I like the idea of a backyard skating rink, but I prefer it to happen naturally with no effort on my part :p

eamon seemed to enjoy himself. at this point, I wouldn't say he's a natural, but it's probably too early to determine that sort of thing. he was the littlest skater there. I was glad when the Zamboni came and did its thing, since eamon's never seen one of those in real life, yet there are a few in his "current" (he's on his second) hockey book from the library. he was a little frightened by it - he doesn't like loud, aggressive things, and zambonies can have an intimidating presence for a 2.5 year old.

No comments: