and i had to have him put down.
he'd gotten into my yarn and swallowed it, except some of it got caught around his tongue so it wasn't able to leave his system. it would have caused his intenstines to pull together like an accordion and it would have eventually ripped right thru them. they were going to have to perform surgery that would cost $1200.00 and they couldn't guarantee that it would work or even that he'd live thru the surgery. he was terribly de-hydrated and his eyes were sunken into his head. he would have had to stay there for 3 days to be hydrated. he was very unwell. he was not himself, he was like a zombie. it was awful to see him that way. that was the only thing that made it easy to let him go. he may not have fully recovered. i said my good-byes to him, i know that he loved me, unfortunately he was in such a state that he didn't interact or even recognize me. i was prepared for that possibility. when i left, the thought occurred to me that i might come home without him, but in that case i sort of expected that they might just keep him overnight.
i called my mom from the vet's when they gave me the prognosis, and she came down to be with me. i really appreciated that. as i waited for her my stomach was in knots and my heart was beating fast. it felt like the equivalent to patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time. it just added to my stress. although, the vet and staff were very sympathetic and supportive.
my subconscious expected him to be here when i got home, even though i was carrying his empty carrier. i'm going to miss him a lot. he was such an unusual guy. he played fetch, and was very vocal. he was cuddly and would sleep on my feet every night. he will be missed. it's just so sudden.
i loved that no matter what, i was his. i belonged to him as much as he did to me. and no matter what i was to anyone else, or how anyone else viewed me. to him, i was just his human. i was his person. i love that it's so simple. it's nice to know that the only thing he wanted or expected from me was love and food. nothing else. it's a liberating identity.
i feel like i've lost my sidekick.
it reminded me of time i spent with you – it was beautiful.
12 comments:
muffin... i am sad for you and for the fru.
So sorry! My thoughts are with you..
mine too...
now you have a new furry angel looking out for you.
I'm so sorry Lesley.
Oh, Lesley! I'm not a real animal person, but reading this post actually brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry.
irina and i took lots of pictures of fru, les. some you have yet to see.
thanks guys. i really appreciate your sympathy. its been sad and my house is so empty, but i'm doing ok. i'm trying to only think of him fondly, not sadly.
i can't to get your pics, i emailed irina and asked her to send them to me. i'll get some printed and one framed.
i'm hanging in there. this too shall pass.
les i'm sooo sorry about frufru!! that is awful i am so sad for you.
Lesley, I am really truly sorry to hear about Fru.... It makes me cry just reading this post... Just a week or so before this, we had to put Holly down so I know EXACTLY what you are going through right now. Im really sorry.
aww, thanks krista. i'm also very sorry to hear about your dog. its terrible. i understand holly was with you a long time, i can't even imagine how much more painful that must be. i hope things look brighter soon.
Hey Les - I was just catching up on your blog and when I read this entry I starting crying at my desk. Crying at work = not a good plan, but I just couldn't imagine having to put Levi down. I think it would rip out my heart. Man I love that little guy. So, I am very sorry about fru.
Melody
oh mel. i miss you! i don't have your phone number.
ya, it's been rough. i enjoy the new kitties, but they're not fru. it's not the same. just different, not bad.
i've got to see some new pictures of levi! he must be getting big!! :)
Post a Comment