Wednesday, July 09, 2008

insofar

i am very excited. i finally got my diva cup to work and i think it's fantastic. if you are a woman, i strongly advise clicking here and learning more about this alternative. if you are a man, i strongly advise you don't click the link. you'd most likely regret it, so just trust me.

i think i've mentioned before that i'm organizing a girls camping trip for next weekend. i've been rather discouraged about it since a lot of the keen participants aren't able to make it. today i was downright stressed out about it. but i don't want to be anxious about anything, because life has a way of working itself out regardless of whether or not we worry. so i tried to be as proactive about it as i could. i emailed a group of people to get the ball rolling, and since then i've been feeling much better. ah *sigh* :) i've got a lot more committed people now and lots of people who have camping gear, so i'm not as worried. plus, it's nice that i'm organizing for a group of adults, they all generally know what's needed, plan accordingly. i wish i'd realized that before today.

when i was at the dentist yesterday they mentioned i've been grinding my teeth, something i discovered back in march when i was up north. i'd mentioned to beckie that my teeth hurt all the time, they felt like they were going to fall out! she asked me if i'd been clenching my teeth and i said no. the next morning i woke to find my jaw clenched so tightly you wouldn't been able to pry it open. since then i've been sleeping with my tongue between my top and bottom teeth to alert me to my teeth grinding. i asked the dentist lady why i would've started doing that, she said it's either genetic or stress related. i mentioned it to my mom and it turns out both she and my grandpa both do it too... due to stress. so apparently it's both. i believe that, i haven't been coping with anxiety very well, but i feel like i'm doing a tiny bit better. or maybe my pms gone.

it makes me feel so fine i can't control my brain.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh lesley I so totally love my Diva cup. Rachel and Jordin were very encouraging but it took me about four months to feel like I could really make it work. It felt like toilet training a toddler. Sort of.

dawna said...

yes, i know... i love my diva cup too.. and it was really hard to remember how to use it again after having eliot... took a few months to get it right again. but so worth the effort!

Anonymous said...

ouu... diva cup. that's very interesting. i like the idea of it... but at the same time it sounds a little terrifying. im excited for you & your vagina. lol
something i like is that the disposable cup called the "ANDREW PILKINGTON". it makes me giggle that Andrew shares a name with a disposable cup. one in which he probably will never knows exists.

i do the clenchted jaw thing too when im stressed. my tongue has tones of strange spots from biting it/chewing it in my sleep. i havnt found a solution, but im hoping u find someway to creativly purge this anxiety.

-shan

yelsel said...

yes, rachel & jordin talked to me about it too. so did beckie. but it was tracy and joanna who were most helpful because they bought theirs around the same time and we've been sharing our experiences and tips. i felt like i was learning out to use tampons all over again.

dawna, did you need to get another size after having babies or have you found that wasn't necessary. i wasn't sure if that was a ploy to get people to buy another one.

hahaha, yes, i noticed that ANDREW PILKINGTON thing as well. very bizarre name for a menstration device. have you always ground your teeth?? let me know if you come up with any solutions because a mouth guard costs 400 bux and would probably just make me gag.

Anonymous said...

our dentist repeatedly advised a mouth guard for me as well (there were two cavities and one chunk of tooth missing from grinding or clenching). At that price though I'm not interested but, frankly, I just can't see myself using one. I finally got the cup to work by taking it to Cuba and NOT bringing tampons "just in case". My little sister is totally grossed out by the concept though.

yelsel said...

well... to each their own. my sister found it bizarre at first, but has become quite interested in the idea. not that she'd ever try it herself, but ya, sometimes people are squimish about new idea.s

Rachel said...

Congrats on the Diva cup! I'm glad it's working out for you. I'm thrilled by how many women are getting on to this thing!

(I am currently using my Diva cup!!!!!!! You know what that means...!! WOOT!)

yelsel said...

mazal tov!!!

Rachel said...

1. I don't know if I ever responded your Facebook camping invite, but thanks so much for sending me one - I would have loved to go, but I was in Spain. If you go again, please do let me know. I love: hanging out with women, camping, and trips.

2. I'm also totally in love with my Diva Cup. I didn't realize how attached to it I'd become until I left it at my dad's house after a visit, and had to use tampons again for the first time in years. It was awful!

yelsel said...

cool! i hope you had a great time in spain :) group camping is awesome. i'll let you know next time we give it a go.

i really liked your diva cup story. i totally get that. i think i'd be surprised by the things i miss if i were to leave them behind.