dave ferrence and i have been having a debate about communism over the past few days. it largely focuses on whether cuba is truly communist or repressed under a dictator. i remember growing up watching amercian television being fed that communisum is bad, and often hearing the term "commy" being used as a derogatory term. but the more i've learned, the more i think i'm a communist deep down inside. as we talked today dave told he that he once knew a communist and this fellow reminded him of a "... what's that name... evangelical christian" i said "i'm an evangelical christian", "oh" he said and kept talking about how similar christianity is to communism. i agreed and told him how i think that's why i'm secretly a communist deep down.
now... back to the "i'm an evangelical christian" comment. i have to admit, i hate the response i get from people when i tell them that. there's such a negative stigma around it. i think that's too bad. partly because i just see myself as a regular person who believes in God. anyway, its interesting that i find it such an awkward thing to tell a person because when they know that about me its a bit of a relief! i feel like "there, that's out of the bag. now i can be myself". i think of my friend who on the first time we hung out she told me point blank "i'm an atheist" i've often thought of that and wondered why she felt a need to tell me that, but its probably the same for her, she feels more herself when people understand that about her.
my mom once dated a communist. this intrigued me. in part because i'm always curious about my mom's life before me and my sister, but also because i didn't know much about communism back then (and still don't quite frankly, just the main theory behind it). when i asked her what he was like, she said "well, he had a beard..." and that's really all she told me. hahahaha, that's so funny. my mom really likes facial hair, and long hair actually. sarah told me recently that the older women get the hairier they like their men. i believe that. i like a good scum-beard.
i love how communism lead to scum-beards in this entry. but why shouldn't it?
there's a mysterious bike that's been abandoned outside my house.
lead me to water lord, I sure am thirsty.
11 comments:
I'm going to end up liking gorillas if I keep liking men hairier as I get older. I've ALWAYS liked thick dark leg hair on men, and the more facial hair, the better. (Sorry, Jase, but I know you feel the same way!)
hahahaha. that's hilarious!!
very enlightening! i think for me it depends on the guy i like at the mo – so right now i'm pretty ambivalent.
if that bike is still there when I get back from montreal, I'm taking it!
that's my version of communism ;) haha
i once read that men with 'creative facial hair' are not ready for a long term, 'real' relationship. apparently they can only do short term. however, if they have a full beard or are clean shaven, they can handle the Big R. i will have to credit this tidbit to "the Infamous THEY". you know, 'they' said so. or it might have been Cosmo.
thanks for your help tonight Les. now I get to sleep.
its a really weird bike, but i guess you're welcome to it. its a street bike (or what i call a ten-speed), but the handle bars are upside down. its really odd. i'm not sure how you'd ride it.
oh! an that's very interesting about the creative facial hair. i can see that being true. however, i do know at least 2 clean-shaved relationship phobes. but maybe they just can't grow facial hair yet. because come one, lets consider the source...
Hi Lesley, in my opinion Cuba is under a dictatorship. From experience can tell you so many stories you won't believe them. What's David's take on it?
About the bike... it wouldn't be there long ago no matter the conditions it is in ;)
mayelin!! i was wondering what your thoughts were. you're my resident cuban expert! david seems to think its communist and that fidel saved them from the previous dictator. i disagreed. but he made me doubt myself because he's older and probably knows more than i do. i'll let him know your thoughts. have you seen "the lost city"? i suggest it :)
i miss you!!
Making a late comment on this one. As for hairy I prefer hairless. Yep. It's true, not so much on a man's legs, but the back and chest. i prefer them bare. Never wanted to be able to run my fingers through chest hair as easily as I could the hair on his head.
Luckily my guy is just the way I like it.
****
On another note I hear you are heading this way Lesley. Unfortunately I won't have the pleasure of meeting you this weekend due to a family camping trip.
Please make yourself at home in our space and have a fab time at Cultivate. We need women to start having more of a voice in the emergent church world. Would love to talk with you about your thoughts on it when you return.
Kath
oh no! i'm disappointed you won't be there. i was looking forward to meeting you. another time i guess. ya, it would be super so swop thoughts! hope you have a good weekend, thanks for letting us crash at your place!
Rachel,
I'm sorry my facial hair is a disappointment.
Sincerely,
Jason
hmm, for some reason (and i realize now that i think of it that this makes no sense) i just assumed you were clean shaven. huh, funny that.
Post a Comment