Tuesday, May 25, 2010

avoid

my balcony in the summer time is my favourite place to be in the whole world. now that i've got my garden planned and some new triangle cushions, i just want to be out there all the time. the kitties love the balcony too. whenever i take them inside because i'm going out someplace, honey makes this moany cry because she knows that she's being displaced from her favourite spot. seeing a kitty sleeping in the sun is probably the picture of contentment.

this weekend i started reading the time traveler's wife. i love it. i wish i was reading in the sun at this very moment.

i arrived this morning to discover they've introduced an organic waste bin by the coffee station. from where i sit i can here people talking about it. some are confused, some are annoyed, some are negative. i can't fathom what's so hard to understand about organic waste. it's compost people. you put compostable waste in it. i don't know if they're trying to be resistant on purpose or if it's truly a foreign concept to them. we've been composting in my family since the 80s and i've assumed everyone did. could it be that these upper-middle class suits don't understand compost waste? how sad.

come on and save me.

2 comments:

Aphra said...

I remember when we first got recycling when I was a kid in St. Catharines. My mother read the recycling manual that came with it and always followed the instructions exactly. I am the same way- I like to recycle/compost exactly according to instructions. (and it drives me crazy when people don't do it right!) But I think there are so many things to think about that it can confuse people.
I think it is GREAT that your work has done this!

Rachel said...

Our housemate who Brendan replaced was quite opposed to composting. She thought it was SUCH a pain. She also did not recycle. Sometimes I went through her garbage bags late and night and put three quarters of the waste into the proper bin. She generally threw out more each week than the other 6 people who live here put together.