Thursday, July 28, 2011

victorian

my mom spent her teen years living on the coast of england. i literary mean ON THE COAST, the sea was right across the street from her home. her parents owned and operated hotel there. i've written about this before actually. one of my earliest entries: harry potter and the sexual innuendos. what a fine blog post title, if i may say so myself :p anyways, she was an unpaid maid in her own home/hotel. and as a result is very very conditioned when it comes to housework.

(allow me put this thought on the back-burner one moment.)

so as i'm trying to do small steps towards tidy living, in order to avoid chaos, i came up with great idea.

(original thought back on front burner).

due to my mom's deeply ingrained housekeeping lifestyle, she cleans the bathroom each morning - or at least the sink. so i paired that with my small tasks idea and have decided to make cleaning one item in the bathroom as part of my morning routine. this way it's just one small thing at a time, and its done and out of the way by 7 am. this morning i scrubbed the tub. i felt very satisfied, and even now as i sit thinking about scrubbing the tub before leaving the house, i feel a great sense of satisfaction. i hope i'm able to keep this up. some days will be easier than others, for example tomorrow i just have to wipe down the mirror. easy!

beckie is back in english-speaking canada for the next couple of weeks. she joined us for dinner last night, then we went out to browse thru english books at indigo. i like her. life just feels best when she's around. as we drove home i felt super content. i like that i feel completely comfortable speaking and being silent with her. i'm very grateful that she and brendan get along well. saturday i'm going to drive up to her cottage for a day of country life. we'll probably read books separately on the dock or go canoeing or play board games. lovely.
 
she feels uncomfortable in the clothing of her ancestors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really struggle with keeping my place clean and I blame it on being a busy mom when really I was slob before kids too. Although, I have to say that when Scott and Ilived in Vancouver I had a streak of keeping our little apartment very tidy. I cleaned our room the other day and I've made the bed three mornings in a row:). Now, my m-i-l is coming over tonight to watch the kids and I feel stressed and have to go do some tidying. She says she doesn't care if our house is clean, but her comments of other people's houses and the meticulousness of her house says otherwise.


Marlene