Thursday, June 09, 2016

5 stars

at lunch, I finished the book "Middlesex". I would have to say, it was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. the author (Jeffrey Eugenides) has only written 3 books, and this was the second of his that I've read. both books have kept me fully hooked until the very last line.

afterwards, I sat breathing, extremely satisfied and enriched. beautiful.

I can't help but wonder how much of the impact was due the fact that I'd read an actual paperback, and not on my e-reader. I have heard before that people absorb more with actual books than e-readers. I had noticed that it had been a while since I was really addicted to a book, but I think it was more the books I was reading than the method I was reading them with.

brendan came across a book review of a new novel called "the girls". it's coming out next week, and is expected to be the big summer read of 2016. he pre-ordered it, and I plan to read it after him. in the review, it compares the novel with the one Eugenides book I haven't read (the virgin suicides). at first I planned to read that as I waited for "the girls", but then I saw the other book this new book was compared to (a visit from the goon squad), and decided to read that instead. when I find an author I like, I kind of want to space out reading their books until I'm in the market for a good book but can't find one. they had a copy of "a visit from the good squad" at the kingscourt library so I got it out. I hope I enjoy it. the reviews are a little mixed on 'good reads'.

I'm definitely giving "Middlesex" 5 stars. I always reserve that rating for the books that make me feel deeply, that I crave reading, and will read at any available opportunity (while eating breakfast, while waiting at stoplights, while lying beside eamon as he watches "the elephant show" on youtube).

here's hoping my next book(s) will be as good. I'm on a bit of a book high right now, and I'd like to keep that going.

No comments: