at 27 years old i'm still amazed that life can change so fast. i woke-up at noon to find a voicemail message from knickers saying her husband passed away at 7:00 this morning. he's been dying of cancer for a number of months, that's why i've been so bored at work lately, because she hasn't really been in to the office since october. however, in spite the forward knowledge, it doesn't change the fact that he was here when i went to bed and gone when i woke-up.
in light of these events, i'd like to say i think its terribly inappropriate that nasa has sent rockets into space to study the northern lights. let's get some perspective here people!
today. today. today.
has it ever hit you how temporary each day is? never again will i be able to say "today pete died". there other days like "today i had my heartbroken" or "today my sister had a baby" or "today i'm leaving for kenya". days are fleeting. just a blip on our life line.
to my delight, i also woke-up to find an email from alison. she, her boyfriend drew, her friend lindsay and her brother john were coming down to kingston the day, and she invited me to meet up with them at the goat. it was really neat! a very diverse group, i liked it a lot. it was really nice to see alison, i hope i get to see her again before she moves back to hong kong.
this evening i went to melissa's for a couch party. her new couch FINALLY got delivered today, and she invited a group of us over to help her break it in. it was fun. she always amazes me with her ability to throw together a nice, tastey and yet simple meal. its amazing. i aspire to be like her. i took my knitting but didn't really get much done since we ended up watching run lola run, and that requires paying attention due to the subtitles. i must admit i LOVE her fire-engine red hair. its glorious. after that we watched the news, i sat there nitpicking and telling melissa everything that was wrong with everything they talked about. sometimes i have a wagging tongue.
all you have left is one kraft dinner
that i brought back for you last summer.
5 comments:
that is beyond sad Lesley.
cancer scares me.
though, i woke up this morning, struggling to get to my run (though a whole group of people were waiting for me!) and when i woke up...i checked pspd. when i read about your boss' husband, i put on my running gear and headed out the door...because i was reminded that our health is a gift, and we owe it to ourselves to use it.
i ran like the wind...and got my whole group to the end with me.
it is sad. you're totally right good health should never be taken for granted. and it should never be jeopardized.
i'm glad you ran like the wind, and spurred others on to the goal :)
I hope that cancer never becomes "normal". it has the potential to because of the high incidence of it.
As a nurse, I feel that because I am surrounded by sick people all the time, I really strive to be healthy and good to my body. Our health and our body are truely a gift.
When I was in elementary school I went to a Christian school, and when we learned about our bodys and sex ed, we used a book called "God's Temples". If I think of my body as a creation of God, then it makes me want to care for it better.
way to go for running like the wind!
he talks about our bodies being a temple in velvet elvis! you're getting ahead of yourself :p
well... if they stop sending ridiculous missions into space we might have a chance at stopping cancer!!
Ah, running...
I loved 'Run, Lola, Run'. Most of all I loved the scenes of her running. I could watch people run for hours on end.
I think I mentioned at living room a couple weeks ago that in my most exhilerating dreams I run and run and run without having to exhert myself.
Unfortunately, I hate running. It makes me feel like my lungs are filling up with blood and are about to explode. It makes me feel like knives are slicing into the backs of my calves. It makes my heart pound and my head ache.
But I love the idea of it. I love watching other people do it. I love when I have dreams about doing it myself and it feels GOOD. Maybe some day I'll try to gradually ease myself into it and get to a point where I can do it in real life.
I admire you, Gen (and others who do it) for getting your butt in gear and running, even if you don't always feel like it.
Post a Comment