i overheard some baby-boomers at work complaining about a possible wind-farm going in down the road from us. they were outraged (and kind of entitled because no one had asked their opinion). i too had been upset to see that a large forested area had been clear-cut, but in part because i assumed they were putting in a subdivision. i feel better about wind-turbines, at least they have a positive impact on society and the wild life can still live in that space. it made me wonder about our opposing perspectives. do the majority of baby-boomers hate wind-turbines (actually, they called them wind-mills) while the majority of my generation (i guess i'm a gen-xer) are pro-turbines? is it that some people (especially older generations) hate change? some claim that wind-turbines are ugly, but people said that about the eiffel tower when it was first built. personally, i can't think of any better use of that space (with the exception of leaving it in it's natural state)
it's not hard to grow,
when you know that you just don't know.
it's not hard to grow,
when you know that you just don't know.
4 comments:
In the are where I work, there are signs all over the countryside that say things like and "Save your family and community, STOP the wind turbines!" I don't know that much about it, but apparently there are people who are pretty opposed to them. I'm not sure of the reasons.
*area where I work.
Oops!
that's just crazy to me. people have claimed negative health impacts, but studies have shown that there's no connection (or rather, there have been no studies to show there's a connection).
i really just think it's a visceral reaction to something unfamiliar. that combined with a "not in my backyard" mentality.
i say...
bring on the wind-turbines!!
I so agree with you, Lesley. I have to keep myself from going a little crazy talking about it.
Marlene
Post a Comment