Thursday, May 19, 2016

finding the right balance

I'm kind of confused about weight control during pregnancy. they say that women of my BMI should only gain between 15 to 25 lbs (some sources say only 11lbs). but i don't understand how I'm supposed to do that since i have all the same extra cargo as skinny mama's (baby, placenta, extra blood). especially since they say not to diet. I've tried to change my eating (mostly snacking) habits, and i think they're really starting to take (i don't have to be as mindful about it, and it's less of an effort than it once was). so far i think i'm doing well. at 6 months, I've only gained 8 pounds - I'm pretty sure at this stage with eamon I was pushing 25 pounds.

i wish it was more clear how I'm supposed to minimize my weight gain. i THINK I'm probably losing excess fat as the result of getting more exercise and better eating habits, but i have no way of knowing for sure. i think my face is looking slimmer, and shannon thinks so too. but how does that impact my BMI, i have no idea.

several people have told me not to worry because they gained 40, 50 or 65lbs with their pregnancies, but my BMI is my main risk factor for a repeat cesarean. and considering that's something i should be able to influence, i really want to be proactive about it.

No comments: