I know that it comes from a kind and sincere place, but I'm not comfortable with the practice of raising or collecting funds for the loved ones who have died in tragic ways (ie shootings). I don't think there's enough money in the world to heal that hurt.
i understand that people have a desire to do something, and giving money, especially to strangers far away, is something they can do. but i would much prefer to see money go towards the cause of the loss. for example, when someone dies from cancer, usually people give money to the cancer society in their name. that makes sense to me. likewise, i wish money would go towards mental health services, and social support groups, to ending violence and education. i think that would have a broader impact, and would shed light on social problems, rather than feed into the notion that money is the answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment