last night i was 5 minutes from home when i realized i left my purse (with wallet, gym membership, knitting) at work. i had to turn around and go back. it took an hour from my evening.
i've come up with yet another non-tv activity. i like watching the tv while i knit, there's nothing appealing to me to just knit in silence. i need to pair it with something else. so i got some books on cd from the library, and i laid in bed last evening listening to my first of 2 books while working away on brendan's toque. the hat, by the way, is looking awesome. i'm amazed at how fast it is to knit. i'm 2/3 of the way done and i only started it on sunday. i love making progress so quickly. AND the hat looks really great on him too. i just put it on his head with needles and all. smashing :D
the first book i've been listening to is called the little giant of aberdeen county. it's interesting so far. i feel a little lost not being able to see the words on the page and not being able to look back at things to double check the details. but i am enjoying the book listening and knitting at once.
often i keep my mouth shut when i don't agree with other people. just sit and listen. i've often sensed that my silence has left the talker thinking i agree with them. that didn't matter to me, they were not close friends or issues that wouldn't simply go away. but suddenly i'm on the other side of things. when a person remained silent in the wake of my views and left me naturally assuming they were on the same page as me. i felt icky. and angry. i may be misinformed but not sharing information with me seems like a crime against us both. it's made me reconsider a few things. i may need to learn how to speak up. i don't want to be guilty of withholding peace. being silent sometimes puts us up in an ivory tower where we have an advantage - the view is exceptional but it means looking down on those we didn't share with. i don't want that.
the first book i've been listening to is called the little giant of aberdeen county. it's interesting so far. i feel a little lost not being able to see the words on the page and not being able to look back at things to double check the details. but i am enjoying the book listening and knitting at once.
often i keep my mouth shut when i don't agree with other people. just sit and listen. i've often sensed that my silence has left the talker thinking i agree with them. that didn't matter to me, they were not close friends or issues that wouldn't simply go away. but suddenly i'm on the other side of things. when a person remained silent in the wake of my views and left me naturally assuming they were on the same page as me. i felt icky. and angry. i may be misinformed but not sharing information with me seems like a crime against us both. it's made me reconsider a few things. i may need to learn how to speak up. i don't want to be guilty of withholding peace. being silent sometimes puts us up in an ivory tower where we have an advantage - the view is exceptional but it means looking down on those we didn't share with. i don't want that.
love sets fire to your schedule.
2 comments:
Oh, do I ever identify with your last paragraph. I find that, even worse than you, I not only remain silent, but I actually say affirmative things such as "mmhmm" and "yeah" and "right", even when I disagree. I'm not trying to say that I do agree. I more mean "Yes, I get what you're saying. (even though I don't agree)" But that's not what's heard. I've thought about this before and it is hard. I think it's so helpful to know when someone disagrees because it helps me state my case in a much more sensitive manner.
I like it when people don't agree with me ... not because I need to argue my point or anything, but because I like to hear a well thought out other point of view. I find myself much more open to the fact that I might not have all the information (which seems to be more and more impossible in this "information age"). I get frustrated that sometimes someone will withdraw from a conversation with me choosing not to share their point of view because they fear a "confrontation" that isn't coming. I'm quite proud of how receptive I can be to an alternate point of view (this has taken a LOT of work and I still have occaisional relapses), but I really truly like to be informed and can usually put my ego aside in the pursuit of information. I do however realize that not everyone has this approach ...
Truth be told I blame it all on the internet - generally you can find so called "facts" on the internet to support any side of any theory so that many people just find what they want to hear, ignore any evidence to support the contrary and then walk around, secure in the notion that they are right ... it can make for some heated arguments (or just a condescending know-it-all) if you are talking to the wrong person.
Post a Comment