Sunday, March 05, 2006

zipper

oh man, i'm pretty exhausted. and no wonder!! seriously since my last entry i've done hordes of things!! here's a list in order:
went to irina's artshow reception
met up with alison at common ground for a visit
went to rhonda's for a movie
church this morning
followed by the annual general meeting
lunch with the butlers
indigo for a read/crossword puzzle
sleepless goat with melinda and irina
living room

wow, no kidding i'm tired!! jeepers.... actually i have a lot to say about each of those events but i don't really have time. argh, i wish i could. basically, i've had a really good weekend.

so in order to avoid what's really rolling around in my head (all the events of this weekend, nothing dramatic - don't read into that) i'll talk about something completely unrelated. i grew up in a dr. seuss-free home. my mom HATES dr. seuss and we weren't allowed to have any of his books. i know, that probably surprises you (if not offends you), but its true! i don't share her feelings although we did grow up thinking dr. seuss was evil and it took a long time to realize otherwise. i guess it was because she went to such a extreme on it that we believe she must have some serious reason for it. but no, she just thinks he's stupid. she wanted us reading books that we could learn something from and thought dr. seuss was just nonsense. i was permitted to have a copy of bartholomew's hats because that involved counting or something.

some people can't speak their minds freely

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad about Dr. Seuss! Thanks for all you give to Living Room Lesley. You're a smashing hostess, even when you're exhausted.

TEAM RICHKA said...

it offends me.

Anonymous said...

I've had a hard time with Dr. Seuss ever since my brother and his girlfriend gave me a slightly feminist book of fairy tales etc that have strong female protaganists. In the intro, the editor points out that Dr. Seuss' books have almost no female characters, and the ones there are irresponsible (like the bird who's egg Horton hatches).

rab said...

Marvin K. Mooney, will you PLEASE go now!

Rachel said...

I'm a feministy sort of gal raising two daughters and we LOVE Dr. Suess!

A lot of my ideals about story characters for kids have been thrown out the window now that I'm a mom to a four year old who ADORES Cinderella. The stereotypes are inescapable.

And just to be controversial, I must add that Dr.Suess is not any worse than, say, the book of Proverbs when it comes to the inclusion of women and the roles they're depicted in.

dawna said...

i love dr. suess... actually we have the one fish, two fish book for the bath and it was one of the first ones colby could quote to me!

Anonymous said...

um. yeah. I still love dr seuss and I'm 27. And I don't love them books because they're so good for growing kids (which they are - hello sneetches?). I love them for me.

The Sleep Book, for example, may be one of THE best falling-asleep books of all time. And I love the way seuss plays with language, like it's cool to be silly and make up your own words and imaginary inventions. And you know, I never even noticed Seuss' lack of female characters, because (except for actual human boys and girls) they're pretty much all gender extra. Like not even necessary to try to guess male or female because they're so not of this world.

Wow. Apparently, I have an opinion about Seuss.

yelsel said...

wow, i'm ticked by all the mixed response to my dr. seuss tribute. that's awesome. sometimes i'm surprised at what creates talk. you guys rock, i loves ya!!