susan had mentioned that the midwives were having an evening meeting at the clinic, but when we arrived it looked like they were having a potluck. we didn't want to interrupt, especially since we were early, so we walked around the building a few times before one of the midwives came out and we mentioned we were there to see susan. the weird thing was that that midwife asked us (a man and very pregnant woman) if we were clients and if we had an appointment. so we confirmed that we were and that susan was expecting us.
she brought us inside, and someone joked about how if we wanted to have our baby then, all the midwives where there and could help :) i remember seeing alyssa and she waved at us. susan took us into her room and got me set up on the monitor. she was going to let it run for a half hour to see how my baby's heart rate was, and to see if i was having contractions. thankfully his heart-rate was strong, so that was not an issue. she also checked my cervix and found that i was 2-3 cm dilated. over that half hour i had 5 contractions that were growing in intensity, but she said they'd need to be longer and stronger than that. it turns out the midwives where having a party-meeting. they have some new equipment that doesn't fit super well into their bags, so they had this dinner meeting (ordering in thai/cambodian food from pat's) to share ideas on how everyone is managing their equipment. she also mentioned (and i can't remember if this was funding they're hoping for or have officially heard that they're receiving) that they were celebrating some funding for new bags.
anyway, she also took us into the pap-room to do an internal exam and used a swab to confirm that it was definitely my amniotic fluid – and it was. she went over my options. i could be induced right away or i could wait 24 hours (from when my water broke), because 50% of women will go into labour on their own within 24 hours, or i could wait 36 hours, because 75% of women go into labour within 36 hours. waiting 48 hours was also an option, but not one she encouraged, and truthfully i didn't want to wait that long either. i told her that i didn't want to be induced, and that i wanted to wait 36 hours before further action was taken. so we came up with the plan that i would go home, take a bath (she only recommended one bath since my water was broken so that protective seal was gone, but i could take as many showers as i wanted), take some tylenol and gravol and try to get some sleep on the recliner on our couch (i could lay down, which would keep the contractions coming, but not be reclined all the way so i could still get some rest). then we'd be in touch again in the morning.
so we went home with that plan. when i got there, i decided to have a shower instead of a bath because the thought of getting down and up again into the tub seemed very difficult. so i started a shower. it was so nice in there, that i just stayed in. i found my contractions were increasing, so i'd just move and sway, and allow the hot water to fall on my back during each new wave. after a half hour, i thought i probably should get out. during that half hour, i estimated that i'd had about 10 contractions, and they were getting stronger.
when i got out, i got ready for bed (teeth, contacts, etc) and headed to the living room to sleep on the couch. not only was i not really sleepy, i was starting to feel like the baby was going to come sooner than the following morning. i tried to explain to brendan that i didn't think getting sleep was necessary, but he didn't quite catch my drift right away (which was i think the baby is coming). we got out my trusty hot-pad, and with each contraction, i would stand up and he would apply the pad to my lower back until it was gone. we developed a pretty good system with that. i was using my iPod to time them, and found that they were less than 5 minutes apart, but they weren't hitting that 1 minute long target, so we just kept waiting. brendan was tired, and i kept saying "maybe we should call the girls back", but he thought it was too soon to trouble them.
around 10:30, i did call them and said "it's time to come back". i also called my mom around that time, realizing i hadn't given her an update since early afternoon. when i told her "my contractions are 2 to 3 minutes apart" she said "shouldn't you be at the hospital by now?", so i explained that we were waiting for the contractions to last 1 minute, be 5 minutes apart for 1 hour. by then my contractions were varying in length from 45 seconds to 1.15 minutes, and i thought they should be more consistent than that. eventually, when we reached 2 hours at that pace, brendan called susan again, and she asked to speak to me. while on the phone with her, i had 2 more contractions and she was able to hear me. i remember feeling slightly self-conscious that everyone was just sitting watching/listening to me during those 2 contractions. when i got back on the phone with her, we tried to determine when was the right time to meet up at the hospital. i didn't want to head over too early, and i kind of thought she'd come check me at home first, but she said to me "are you having any pressure or sensation in your rectum?", and at that point i was starting to, so i said "a little". so with that she decided we'd leave right away to meet at KGH. brendan, shannon and rach helped me get ready. i had a few remaining things to go in my overnight bag (thankfully i had prepared a list so they could just grab the things without me having to think about it). i felt very lucid and normal between contractions, i could talk and express my needs quite well, which was good (different from last time).
by then i'd asked for a bowl in case i had to barf, and i had a trusty dishtowel that i used to wipe my constantly sweating face. i was thankful for the dishtowel because it doubled as something for me to squeeze when a contraction came on. so with those things in my hands, we got into our cars and headed out.